Monday, December 13, 2010

The Morrocco Method


A few months ago, my friend D and I tried an experiment: no shampoo for one week- only apple cider vinegar and baking soda. Seems like there is a whole no-shampoo movement out there. At the end of the week, my hair felt dirty and greasy and I was so happy to wash my hair. We did learn a lesson though: your own natural scalp oils are good for you. So since then, I've been looking for alternatives to shampoos that dont contain sulfates (strips your hair) and that are all natural.

Grace had recently sent me a link to cosmeticdatabase.org which is a non-profit that tests beauty products for their toxicity. It's an awesome website though not totally thorough. So that's where I found The Morrocco Method.

It's a haircare system that I think of as the Chinese Herbal Medicine of haircare. You get 5 "shampoos" that you rotate and several "conditioners." I'm using quotes because the shampoos feel slightly clayish- not like a traditional shampoo at all and the conditioner feels exactly like the shampoos. The other conditioners are water-based sprays and the one traditional cream conditioner feel like lotion.

So I've been using this system for about a week now and my hair feels dry, heavy, stringy...not touchable. I hear that this is normal because my hair is detoxing right now. They say that years of using shampoos with sulfates and petrochemicals coats your hair with the stuff and it will take about 3-4 weeks for my hair to rid itself of the chemicals. So I'm gonna stick with it for about a month and see. But for now, I miss my soft and shiny petrochemical-coated hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Followers